ESP Wiki is looking for moderators and active contributors!
Software patents produce legal uncertainty
This entry is a stub.
The information provided is too short. You can help us by expanding it and adding appropriate sources.
Software patents are a source of legal uncertainty. Any way to abolish a portion of software patents will help reduce legal uncertainty.
MPEG-LA claims that it's not possible to write any video playing software without infringing at least one of their patents.[reference needed]
Can you help? need to dig up that quote about how e-commerce websites have 10,000?? patents to try to avoid
Do imperfect solutions increase uncertainty?
The scope of patentability is currently uncertain, and software patents are a source of legal uncertainty, so any change that goes in the direction reducing or abolishing software patents will reduce uncertainty.
Related pages on ESP Wiki
- Slow process creates uncertainty
- Statistics, categorising, and counting patents
- All businesses are targets
- Software is too abstract, software patent quality is terrible
- The disclosure is useless
- Infringement is unavoidable
- Ignoring Patents, 3 July 2007, Mark A. Lemley - "both researchers and companies in component industries simply ignore patents." - which means that every patent is uncertainty