Who owns software patents
This page is for looking into who holds software patents - big companies? small? local? foreign? etc.
SMEs or large corporations?
A 2004 study by the BSA (which lobbies for software patents) showed that only 20% of software patents granted in Europe are to small businesses. (In that study, they used the term "computer-implemented inventions", but they clarified near the beginning that it was a synonym for "software patents")
According to this study, small companies patent 13 to 14 times more than big companies:
Related pages on ESP Wiki
- Why software is different
- An Empirical Look at Software Patents - in that study there's a section on this
- Which sectors are for and against
- Why companies apply for software patents
- 2008 Berkeley Patent Survey - about ownership of patents among companies less than 10 years old in the USA
In the USA
- Top 150 "Customers": Increasing Domination of the Patent System
- Since 2008, most US patents go to non-US companies
- IBM and Microsoft are numbers 1 and 3 for overall patent grants
- Per-company statistics
- Per-country statistics
- Page with per-country pie chart at end
- Interview mentioning that 3% of patent applicants own 50% of the patents granted by the EPO, good quotes
- "Patenting by Entrepreneurs: The Berkeley Patent Survey (Part I of III)". http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2010/07/patenting-by-entrepreneurs-the-berkeley-patent-survey-part-i-of-iii-1.html. "As expected, this figure varies widely by industry—for example, 97% of venture-backed biotechnology companies hold patents or applications, while only 67% of venture-backed software startups do. And among the general population of software startups responding, the rate was only about 25%."
- "BSA figures do not add up". http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/it-strategy/2005/06/24/bsa-figures-do-not-add-up-39205463/. "A recent study by the Business Software Alliance indicates that SMEs account for 20% of all CII (Computer Implemented Inventions) patents granted since 1998"