ESP Wiki is looking for moderators and active contributors!
A design patent is not the same as a normal patent. A design patent covers "look and feel" rather than functionality.
Related pages on ESP Wiki
- How to read patents
- software patents - the real problem
- Utility models and innovation patents - another kind of special patent
- Design patent, Wikipedia
- Apple v. Samsung: Intelligence on Apple’s U.S. Design Patent Offensive, 28 Oct 2011, Christopher Carani
- Design Patents: Eliminating the Ornamental/Functional Dichotomy, 25 Apr 2010, Patently-O
- Design Patents on Images Shown on a Computer, 8 Mar 2013, Patently-O
- Functionality and Graphical User Interface Design Patents, 17 Nov 2013, Patently-O (Guest Post by Michael Risch)
Example design patents
- Google Granted Design Patent on Search Webpage, 3 Sep 2009, IP Watchdog
- Apple granted design patent on Cover Flow, 8 Apr 2010, engadget
- Apple receives another Cover Flow design patent, 5 Oct 2010, Patently Apple
- Microsoft sues Datel for patent infringement on gamepads, 2 Apr 2010, techspot (note: in this case the infringing product is hardware, not software)