Philips is a Dutch company that lobbies for software patents. Philips is a member of Open Invention Network.
Philips lobbied for software patents during the EU software patents directive.
Bilski amicus briefs
In 2008 and 2009, Philips submitted amicus briefs asking the courts to rule that software ideas are patenable:
- in re Bilski: http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/bilski.philips.pdf
- Bilski v. Kappos: http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/briefs/pdfs/09-10/08-964_RespondentAmCu3SoftwareCorps.pdf
Software patents held by Philips
Philips applies for more software patents at the European Patent Office (EPO) than any other European company.
Philips holds a patent on a "pop-out-context-menu" (EP249293), granted by the EPO despite the EPO claiming not to grant software patents.
What relation with Sisvel?
Sisvel (which enforces mp3 patents) has been described as "Philips’ licensing arm". A July 2008 ruling of a Dutch court mentioned that:
Philips and others granted a licence under the patents to Audio MPEG Inc. with the authority to grant a (sub-) licence to Sisvel, which authority has been used. Philips and others also granted an irrevocable power of attorney to Sisvel to act for and on their behalf in court on account of the patents
Sisvel's website's About us page says they're (now) separate.
Related pages on ESP Wiki
- FFII's page about Philipshttp://eupat.ffii.org/players/philips/index.en.html
- http://www.webwereld.nl/nieuws/19599.phtml (partial English translation)
- You thought paying Sisvel ended your license concerns? (Sisvel was contracted by Philips to enforce mp3 patents)
- ↑ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4655955.stm Regarding the EU software patents directive: "Big technology firms, such as Philips, Nokia, Microsoft, Siemens, and telecoms firm Ericsson, continued to voice their support for the original bill.
- ↑ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/27/eu_patents_vote_delayed/
- ↑ http://eupat.ffii.org/gasnu/philips/index.en.html
- ↑ http://www.nosoftwarepatents-award.com/press/200604.en.html
- ↑ http://ipgeek.blogspot.com/2007/02/you-thought-paying-sisvel-ended-your.html
- ↑ http://www.eplawpatentblog.com/PDF_December09/The%20Hague%20DC%20Sisvel%20v%20Sosecal%20EN.pdf
- ↑ http://www.sisvel.com/english/aboutus